Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things that I am totally in love with!


-This wonderful platter that my Marmee got me for Christmas. Isn't it so charming?! She and I saw it on our trip to Cincinnati, OH at one of my favorite shops, Ten Thousand Villages, and I fell completely in love. If you have never heard of Ten Thousand Villages, you have to try and find one near you. They have some very incredible, unique items for sale and it all directly benefits the craftsmen and artisans who created them. Everything is surprisingly reasonably priced too! Their "employees" are all volunteer and, not only do you find something you can't live without (every time you visit, I might add, lol), you feel great about supporting them. Here's what they have to say at their website:

Since 1946 Ten Thousand Villages has supported the work of literally tens of thousands of artisans in over 30 countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, making us one the largest fair trade organizations in North America. Working with more than 100 artisan groups, we purchase fine pieces from craftspeople with whom we have longstanding, nurturing relationships…helping to bring dignity to their lives.

Ten Thousand Villages is a founding member of the International Fair Trade Association, an organization that includes over 200 members in 55 countries, including many artisan groups in developing countries. We are part of a worldwide movement that is striving to improve the livelihood of disadvantaged people in developing countries through the expansion of fair trade.


-My "I love Mr. Darcy" sweatshirt. I got this for Christmas also, and it's so perfect! Of course, who doesn't love Mr. Darcy? He's tall, rich, and tragically misunderstood. The perfect gentleman... every thinking woman's hero :)

- Little needle felted animals. They are so irresistable! I am so enamored by them, I may have to learn how to needle felt just so I can start a collection of these adorable creatures! There are so many on Etsy, but I am drawn to this one and this one. They do sell kits, so I may give in to the temptation sometime soon...watch out world! :)

- My knitting bag. It's not intended to be a knitting bag, but it has 4 pockets inside and is so roomy that I can fit everything that I need in there. It's a Red Tango bag, and they have so many cute bags that it's hard to choose a favorite! I am warning you though, don't go look unless you are prepared to buy, lol. This one is real leather, and such a luxury. It's perfect! I never want to have anything else for my knitting as long as I live!








-My elephant painting...
My brother, Jared, got this for me as a gift a few years ago. I love it so much! It's an original, one-of-a-kind painting done by an african elephant name Jana. She lives at the Knoxville Zoo and participates in the painting program that is intended to give the elephants there an opportunity to do something creative that they can look forward to. Isn't it fascinating? You can buy their artwork here and the proceeds go toward the Elephant Program at the zoo.




-And last, but not least, My Bailey Marie.










3 comments:

Heather said...

I covet your bag. And shirt. And platter. And... thanks for sharing!

I still want to buy some of your yarn btw, but will have to wait to replenish the yarn budget. Can't wait to see what you are going to sell!

Jen said...

I love that painting! I think the story is just so cool! and that platter is awesome - chic frog stuff - who knew?

George said...

Ash, I am glad you mentioned your sweatshirt. It was a joy to give it to you!! Great post !