Thursday, July 12, 2007

Knitting,spinning dogs, and life


This is my puppy, Bailey Marie, a blue merle sheltie. As you can probably see, one of her eyes is blue. Isn't she beautiful?! She's 7 moths old now and I don't know what life would be like without her :) She's everything I always wanted in a dog- loyal to a fault, (she ran alongside my dad's truck tonight when she saw that I was in the back) sweet and loving, affectionate and very happy. Pets make life all that much better! Oh, and Bailey enjoys my spinning as well ;)



As I mentioned in my last post, I am a member of Dogster. I have thoroughly enjoyed that and they just recently sent me an email informing me that I had a special offer from Shutterfly, who has recently teamed up with Dogster. Anyway, they gave me a free 8.5" x 11", 20 page photo book for free since I have been a member with Dosgter since before June of this year. I have been working on compiling all my photos of Bailey and arranging them in this book. They give you all different kinds of backgrounds, layouts, and options to add text and captions. It's so awesome! So, I am almost done with it and I just have a few more pics to add...I will keep you updated on this (although it is probably not exciting to anyone but me, lol).

Today was my sister, Kelsey's ninth birthday and we all had a very good time. We have a family tradition that the birthday girl (or boy) gets to choose their birthday dinner. Kelsey chose sauteed vegetables and fresh corn. We had a dessert of oreo pie and ice cream :)


My knitting projects are frustrating me right now. I am about 3/4 of the way done with my shapely tank, but I ran out of yarn. So off we go to Hobby Lobby to get some more, and, of course, the dye lot was a teeny bit off. My brilliant mother gave me the idea to change the pattern of the top half of my tank to disguise the yarn color change, and it IS working! The only drawback is that I am doing a seed stitch now, and that takes me about twice as long to knit, lol. Anyway, I am STILL working on that and I am so ready to be done with it. I mentioned before about the pair of Christmas socks I also have on the needles, but to be perfectly honest, I still haven't officially casted on for those. Tuesday night, at our knitting group, I did a gauge swatch. Then I realized that I should've done my swatch in the round...so I took it all out and started again. About 1/3 of the way through that swatch, I realized that my needles weren't the same size so I was totally throwing my gauge off. Since then, I have found the other pair of size 2 needles, but haven't had the heart to start again. :) I am also working on finding that magical measurement of the intended foot x stitches ratio and that's slowing down my motivation as well. Tomorrow, I WILL tackle that!

I am almost done with my Tour De Fleece-fleece :) I have been faithful to spin each day and I am very proud of myself! I am using a double treadle Lendrum wheel and it spins like a dream. Of course, I already had this bit of purple merino about halfway spun up before I started this, so I guess it doesn't really count. I will be starting something new soon and I am excited about that! I have been inspired by Peggy and my other knitting friends to branch out, break free, and otherwise cast all bonds of one-project-at-a-time-itis aside and have more than one project going at a time! You would be proud of me ladies! (and my mom, who has started to at least think about it, lol)

4 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Ashley. thanks for visiting my blog. Socks and fit? I don't know that I have many hints. I have done toe up socks because it's supposed to be easy to try on and find the right place for heel etc. I've never found it easy to judge and most of the toe-up socks I've done are too long in the foot.

I usually try them on cuff down and have no problems.

If I do them for little children. I do make them a bit long as their feet grow fast. I often do a round toe as it suits my foot and allow about 2" for that, less for children. I'm not much help really, am I. Sometimes I do the cuff on slightly bigger needles and then switch down so the gauge is finer on the foot for better wear. That makes them a bit quicker to knit, or so it seems. Eveey little trick helps.

your dog is beautiful.

Peggy said...

Bailey is so cute and so very loving. I just love her!!!! Still haven't decided what you are going to spin next? I'm happy to be a part of your "one-project-at-a-time-itis" delinquency. :) Idiocy loves company!!!!

Marmee said...

Okay, that's it!! I am off right now to find a project to do...little miss attitude!! LOL
And, I hate that picture of me...how come Bailey gets all the cute pictures? And, yes, for all of you that are wondering, she is just that cute!
I still love you and am going upstairs right now to get that pattern.....and then to find the needles and the yarn, wait...first I have to make lunch and then, I will, or at least today sometime....lol

June said...

Bailey is gorgeous, of course! It's the Blue Merle part I think! (We are partial to Bailey since we have one too!) A Blue Merle Australian Shepard!